Environmental advocacy has been the foundation of my organizing work for the past 10 years. All positions listed in italics were volunteer. Entirely in my spare time, I have become an issue expert in both the climate crisis and animal protection, as well as led organizing teams to make a real and material difference in these areas. If I could do all of this while working at another full-time job and attending school half-time, think of what I could do if I was doing environmental or animal advocacy work full time.
Simply Living, Columbus, Ohio (2020-)
Fundraising and Communications Coordinator (2020)
- Oversaw Gift To Be Simple online auction that raised $1500 for community sustainability organization.
- Converted online auction into online store of goods and services to be ongoing source of revenue.
- Created and executed social media plan that increased engagement 337% in six weeks.
- Initiated legislative advocacy program for OSBC, testifying in legislative and administrative hearings.
- Helped revamp individual and business membership programs and outreach.
- Initiated strategic planning, including stakeholder analysis, SWOT, and organizational alignment.
Sierra Club (2014-)
Chair, Ready for 100 Ohio Committee, Sierra Club Ohio Chapter (2019-)
- Lead monthly coordinating calls for volunteers working on Ready for 100 campaigns across Ohio.
- Led four-year Ready for 100 campaign in Columbus that culminated in passing ballot initiative on Community Choice Aggregation for 100% renewable energy by 76%.
- Led advocacy for ballot initiative on Community Choice Aggregation for 100% renewable energy in Grove City, then managed successful campaign to pass Issue 10 in Grove City by 66%.
- Secured commitment to 100% renewable energy from Lakewood.
- Initiated Mayors for 100% Clean Energy Commitment from Bexley.
- Developing active campaign teams in Akron, Dayton, Toledo, and other cities.
Chair, Ready for 100 Columbus, Sierra Club Central Ohio Group (2017-2020)
- Lead a team of volunteers asking the city of Columbus to commit to 100% renewable energy.
- Organized and led dozens of events including:
- Booths at 12 summer festivals to collect 5,000 signatures on Columbus AddUp petition.
- Bill McKibben speaking event that drew 170 registrations.
- Aerial Art Project with 100 people spelling out a giant ”100%” on Scioto Mile.
- 100% Clean Energy for All Training with city leaders from Cleveland, Cincinnati, Oberlin.
- Spoke to audience of 500 at Josh Fox performance of The Truth Has Changed.
- Spoke to audience of hundreds each at three Green New Deal Town Halls.
- Screening of Reinventing Power with panelists from Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission, Ohio Farm Bureau, Ohio Environmental Council, and Design Energy.
- Rise for Climate, Jobs, and Justice march with 100 participants despite pouring rain.
- Collected over 5,000 signatures on petition asking city to commit to 100% renewable energy.
- Worked with Solar United Neighbors to launch a solar coop in Franklin and Delaware counties.
- Organized Community Dialogues with community leaders and members in Franklinton and Linden.
- Put together team to manage presence on Facebook and Twitter. Facebook reach ~ 2000/month
- Organized action alert on Columbus Climate Adaptation Plan that got over 550 signatures.
Executive Committee, Ohio Chapter, At-Large Member (2019-), Group Representative (2014-18)
- Serve on a panel of 12 members to oversee staff, priorities, and $500,000 budget of Ohio Chapter.
- Elected in 2019 with the highest number of votes statewide.
- Elected as Ohio Chapter representative to Sierra Club Council of Club Leaders (2019).
- Wrote fundraising appeals that brought $20,000 into the chapter (2019).
- Spoke to audiences of hundreds at three Green New Deal town halls (2019).
- Provide testimony regarding energy and environment at legislative and regulatory hearings such as:
- EPA hearings on Carbon Pollution Standards (2014) and Clean Power Plan (2017).
- Public Utilities Commission of Ohio hearings on AEP solar farm proposal (two in 2018).
- Ohio Legislative Committees on SB 250 (2018), HB 6 (2019).
- Ohio Wildlife Commission (2018).
- Columbus City Council (2017, 2019).
- Published six letters to the editor on issues regarding climate, energy, environment and wildlife.
Executive Committee, Sierra Club Central Ohio Group (2014-17)
- Chaired Conservation Committee. Organized and let meetings on water and climate issues (2017).
- Chaired Political Committee. Oversaw questionnaires, interviews and endorsement process for candidates in city elections (2015) and state elections (2016).
- Spoke to audience of 800 about climate change and public health at Our First Stand rally in Columbus.
- Collected 50,000 signatures on a petition asking Gov. Kasich to call back Ohio state police from Standing Rock. Organized a protest attended by 150 people at the Ohio Statehouse (2016).
- Attended national and international events around climate and environment, including People’s Climate March in New York City (2014), Paris Climate Conference (2015), Standing Rock (2016), March for Science in Washington, DC (2017), March for Climate in Washington, DC (2017).
Sunrise Movement Columbus Hub (2017-)
- Spoke to audience of 800 at Youth Climate Strike in Columbus, Ohio (2019).
- Organized meeting to lobby Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown to support the Green New Deal (2019).
- Attended numerous Sunrise trainings and webinars including Sunrise 101 series (2018-19).
- Got arrested in civil disobedience at Rep. Steny Hoyer’s office in Washington, D.C. (2018).
- Organized meetings to lobby Rep. Joyce Beatty (OH-3) in Washington, DC, and Columbus, Ohio (2018).
- Participated in direct action at DNC meeting in Chicago for vote on fossil fuel contributions (2018).
- Spoke at Climate Legacy Time Capsule ceremony in Columbus, Ohio (2017).
- Provided location and support for Sunrise training in Columbus, Ohio (2017).
Climate Reality Leadership Corps, Climate Reality Project (2015-)
- Trained in Cedar Rapids, Iowa (2015); mentored in Denver (2017); trained in Atlanta (2019).
- Wrote book chapter “Selling Doubt” for Climate Abandoned, edited by Jill Cody (2019).
- Wrote “Michael Moore’s environment film a slap in the face on Earth Day.” Piece received 13,100 reads on Medium, 6.381 on Facebook, resulted in five radio and podcast interviews (2020).
- Performed over 500 Acts of Leadership on climate change so far.
- Spoken about climate change to audiences of all sizes at almost 100 meetings, rallies, and trainings.
Citizens’ Climate Lobby, Columbus, Ohio, Chapter (2014-16)
- Founder, Columbus Chapter. Organized launch event and recruited participants.
- Organized and led monthly meetings for about 12 volunteers.
- Wrote policy brief and gave presentations about carbon fee and dividend.
- Published two letters to the editor about carbon fee and dividend.
- Organized six meetings with Ohio members of Congress to discuss carbon fee and dividend.
- Attended Citizens Climate Lobby meetings and lobby days in Washington, DC.
Humane Society of the United States (2010-14)
Ohio State Council Member (2012-14)
- Helped organize annual Ohio Humane Lobby Day with over 100 participants.
- Managed social media for HSUS Ohio, Ohioans for Humane Farms, and Stop HumaneWatch.
- Served on boards of SAVE Ohio Pets and Animal Cruelty Taskforce of Ohio.
Ohio State Affairs and Rural Outreach (2010-14)
- Worked on animal welfare campaigns including humane farms, exotic animals, and puppy mills.
- Volunteer lead for successful campaign to pass Dangerous Wild Animals Act (2012).
- Testified in Ohio House Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee.
- Testified in Senate Agriculture, Environment & Natural Resources Committee.
- Gathered written and oral testimony from 8 animal sanctuary directors.
- Lobbied key legislators in person with two animal sanctuary directors.
- Organized phone calls and e-mails to committee members.
Zoo and Sanctuary Research Project, with Paul Becker (2010-14)
- Visited 25 AZA-accredited zoos. Interviewed 12 zoo directors, 18 zoo staff members.
- Visited 7 non-accredited zoos. Interviewed 2 directors.
- Visited 7 accredited animal sanctuaries. Interviewed 11 directors and staff members.
- Visited 17 non-accredited animal sanctuaries. Interviewed 15 directors and staff members.
- Interviewed 7 subject matter experts on private ownership of dangerous wild animals.
- Visited Mid-Ohio Alternative Animal and Bird Auction in Ohio.
Photo Credit: Paul Becker